- Great fortunes such as the Rothschild and du Ponts were generations in the making
- 70% of today’s billionaires are first-generation and did not inherit their wealth.
- Most first-generation billionaires are from middle-class backgrounds. Only 25 percent come from financially impoverished families.
- Not all children will want to share or compete with the dream of the founder’s wealth choice. This might also be affected by industrial cycles.
- Disassociation most commonly begins when the foundation business is self-sustaining and there is no need for family involvement.